Not everyone who matriculates finishes. To make that clear, we share some data, organized by year of matriculation and including both the "regular program" and PNP students.
Just to be clear: there are many reasons why students who enrolled at WUSTL do not finish. Most learned that they had philosophical interests that were better served elsewhere or even interests in another discipline, and so they transferred. Some developed other personal interests or opportunities that drew them away from academic work more generally. A few did not make satisfactory progress and lost their position in the program. Also, of those who left, some departed before completing their pre-dissertation requirements, but others, who started but did not complete their dissertations, remain eligible for reinstatement.
- 1997. Five entered (three men, two women). Four (two men, two women) finished, and two (both men) sought academic jobs, both successfully finding tenure-track positions.
- 1998. Four entered (two men, two women). Two finished (one man, one woman). One (man) went immediately to Law School, and then successfully sought academic employment, in a Law School. The other (woman) occasionally seeks academic employment, not yet successfully.
- 1999. Four entered (three men, one woman). Three finished (two men, one woman). Two (men) sought academic employment, one successfully.
- 2000. Five entered (three men, two women). Two (both men) finished, and successfully sought tenure-track positions.
- 2001. Eight entered (three men, five women). Four finished (one man, three women); one (woman) is still active. Of those finished, one (woman) has successfully found a tenure-track job; one (man) has a post-doc and still seeks a tenure-track job; one (woman) teaches at a private high school; and one (woman) has found only part-time academic employment in limited searches.
- 2002. Five entered (three men, two women). One (man) finished and successfully sought a tenure-track position.
- 2003. Seven entered (four men, four women). Five (three men, two women) finished; four (three men, one woman) successfully sought tenure-track positions; one (woman) has a term-limited position and still seeks a tenure-track position.
- 2004. Eight entered (six men, two women). Four (three men, one woman) finished, and one (man) is still active. Of the four finished, one has a tenure-track position; two have untenured positions and still seek tenure-track employment; and one has non-academic employment.
- 2005. Four entered (all men). Three are finishing and will seek academic employment.
- 2006. Four entered (three men, one woman). One (man) is finishing, and two (one man and one woman) are on leave.
- 2007. Three entered (all men). One man is finished and holds a visiting position at WUSTL, one is finishing, and one is on leave.
- 2008. Five entered (three men, two women). One (man) is finished and 3 (two men, one woman) are still active.
- 2009. Five entered (all men). All are active.
- 2010. Four entered (one man, three women). Two (two women) are active. One man has left the program and one woman has taken a leave of absence.
- 2011. Three entered (two men, one woman). All are active.
- 2012. Five entered (three men, two women). All are active.
- 2013. Four entered (two men, two women). All are active.
Summing up 1997-2004 (eight incoming classes): 46 entered (27 men, 19 women). 23 finished (15 men, 8 women). Placement details for these 23 and a few more who entered before 1997 can be found at the appropriate link listed to the left.
Summing up 2005-2013 (nine incoming classes): 37 entered (26 men, 11 women). Five have left the program; three others are currently on leave; 31 are active.